There’s so much emphasis on preparing for old man winter, then before you know it the mad rush of spring cleaning arrives. But what if you got a head start and did more than just a deep house cleaning? Just as you shift your home maintenance routines for the colder winter weather, you should consider what to change as the temperature rises.
Our homes are smarter than ever, and this makes it easier than ever to transition from one season to the next. You can set your thermostats months ahead of time to shift automatically. But other home maintenance updates require a little manual labor.
Don’t wait for spring cleaning! Whether you’re staying in your place for years to come, or preparing to sell in the near future, this simple checklist will help get your home ready for the warmer months, inside and out.
- Check the filter for your refrigerator ice maker or water dispenser, and replace if necessary
- Clear any debris that may have blown into your range hood before you start planning your next dinner party
- Schedule an HVAC contractor early to make sure your air conditioner is in tip-top shape before you need it most
- Clean dust bunnies from your clothes dryer vent, and underneath and around the washer and dryer
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Refresh your floors with a deep clean or polish
- Launder your drapes, dust off blinds and clean your windows
- Spot clean your furniture
- Clear old leaves and unruly weeds from your garden to get it in pristine shape for planting
- Sweep and clean your outdoor living space
- Give your grill a tune-up
- Prune your trees and shrubs
- Check your roof for missing shingles or leaks
- Don’t forget to clean out the gutters and downspouts
- Get your tool shed organized before you begin your big garden and yardwork projects
- Patch and repair any cracks or damage to your driveway and walkways
Get ahead this year and make your home the cleanest, safest place ever: you’ll thank yourself later. Here’s to more dinner parties and game nights!