Here’s how to tell if the town you’re considering has gone to the dogs.
- There are more groomers in a two-mile radius than hair salons. Walk-in appointments welcome!
- When you overhear people talking about scheduling play dates, they’re talking about their dogs—not their kids.
- Forget doggie bags; the local restaurants have doggie menus.
- The shops are pup-friendly too, with treats and bowls of water at the ready. How about a glass of water (or even better, champagne) while I shop?
- You have to wait in an endless line at Starbucks to use a restroom, but the streets are basically lined with pet waste stations—lucky dogs.
- Gourmet doggie food trucks are a real thing.
- The dog park is bumping day and night. It’s a regular mutt market (sorry).
What to Look For
On a more serious note, there are certain factors to keep in mind as you start house hunting with pets in tow. First, think about what type of home will work best for your pet (lots of stairs = tough for seniors; tiny apartment = not great for a high-energy dog). Then share that info with your Coldwell Banker Real Estate professional, who can point you to dog-friendly listings you’ll love too. Other things to be on the lookout for:
Pet Shops: Lots of pet-oriented businesses means plenty of other dog parents live in the area—and that you won’t have to walk or drive miles when you accidentally run out of kibble.
Ample Sidewalks: No one wants to walk on the shoulder of the road, especially on late-night walks. Bonus points for pet waste stations.
Neighborhood Parks: Especially in urban areas—check if there are off-leash hours and dog runs, or at least grassy areas where pups are welcome.
Meetup Groups: Look for active Meetup groups for your breed or type of dog. You and your pup just might make some new friends.
Read more about when pets dictate where you live, and get details on Coldwell Banker Real Estate’s Homes for Dogs Project. Through a partnership with Adopt-a-Pet.com, Coldwell Banker Real Estate helps adoptable dogs find loving homes.
The Nest and Coldwell Banker Real Estate present Find Your Happy Place, a sponsored series featuring tips and advice to help you find a neighborhood (and home!) that’ll make you happy for years to come. Visit ColdwellBanker.com to start your home-buying journey.